Study units in Acting, Dance, Singing and Movement
Enhance a range of skills needed for the Performing Arts industry which frequently requires performers to work across different performance disciplines
Is it for me?
This course looks at performance in a broader sense, developing practical skills and looks for opportunities to combine these through physical theatre, devising and movement projects.Learning activities will be based around developing your performance skills and creativity in exploring and shaping ideas to create effective performance material.
The course is taken over 1 year and is equivalent to 1 AS level as a Certificate and 2 years as a Subsidiary Diploma equivalent to 1 A level and is all coursework based. This course can be combined with a range of other programmes – further Certificates and Subsidiary Diplomas in Performance or Music. Alternatively it can be combined with a range of other options at level 2 or 3.
This qualification is part of a suite of performance based courses at Level 3. These can be studied together in a combination that suits you. The range includes Certificates/Subsidiary Diplomas in: Dance, Acting, Performing Arts and Creative Arts Management.
Your assessment will be through assignments in class and practical/performance projects.
Course elements could include:
· Working from a range of stimuli to devise practical work
· Shaping and rehearsing work to perform to an audience
· Refining material for performance
· Keeping a reflective log book to record the creative journey and evaluate your work
· Working well as a member of a group, sharing ideas and exploring these practically
· Considering how to use physical acting and movement skills to communicate themes to an audience.
· Watching a range of professional work and analysing this to improve your own performance and devising skills
· Integrating performance disciplines (i.e. Singing, Acting and Dancing)
Units may include:
(Certificate and Subsidiary Diploma)
- Performing to an Audience
- Devising Theatre
- Dance Performance
- Developing Physical Theatre and Movement Skills
(Subsidiary Diploma only)
- Theatre in Education or Theatre for Children
- Physical Theatre and Movement
- International Dance
- Singing Skills for Actors and Dancers
A minimum of 4 GCSEs at grades A* to C including English Language (grade C or above preferred) and GCSE Drama or Dance (grade C or above)
Level 2 Performing Arts (Merit) and English Language GCSE (grade C or above preferred).
For all students there will be an assessment of practical skills at a taster session.
If you do not have a grade C or above in English Language or Maths, you will study these subjects as an essential part of your programme of study.
Which courses go well with this?
This course can be combined with a range of other programmes – further Certificates and Subsidiary Diplomas in Performance or Music. Alternatively it can be combined with a wide range of other courses - both AS Levels and BTECs.
This course could help you gain access to Higher Education/Specialist Institutions, and will also prepare you well for working in the Industry. Students may want to combine this course with other level 3 Certificate/Subsidiary Diploma courses in order to gain a comprehensive set of skills to help to progress to university or employment in the industry.