AS/A2 Geology (level 3)Course ref. QW050
This course is designed to enable you to:
- Develop your interest in, and enthusiasm for geology
- Develop essential knowledge and understanding of different areas of geology and how they relate to each other
- Appreciate how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society
- Develop and demonstrate a deeper appreciation of how science works
- Appreciate geodiversity, the finite nature of the Earth’s resources and the need for geoconservation
Is it for me?
With the course involving ongoing investigative work it will suit those with an interest in the scientific study of the environment, who enjoy practical work including fieldwork and want to know more about the planet they live on. Assessment is mostly exam based.
This unit provides students with a knowledge and understanding of the Earth, its structure and its place within the solar system. You will study earthquakes, their effects, the issues around predicting earthquakes and the evidence for plate tectonics.
Rock Cycle - Processes and Products
You will learn and develop a broad knowledge and understanding of the rock cycle and the processes that produce igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks.
Here you will study the application of geology to water supply, energy resources, metallic mineral deposits, engineering geology and construction materials.
Evolution of Life, Earth and Climate
This unit will help to develop your knowledge and understanding of the evolution of fossils and climate.
Practical Skills in Geology (AS and A2)
This unit develops practical and investigative skills.
A minimum of 5 GCSEs at grades A* to C including Maths, English Language and a Science.
Which courses go well with this?
This course combines well with all subjects, especially Chemistry and Physics.
Geology is related to the branch of earth sciences and complements and combines well with Physics, Geography, Environmental Studies and other sciences. Geologists are increasingly in demand to study and evaluate geologic hazards, natural resources and environmental issues such as groundwater supply and contamination.